I absolutely love browsing the digital paper listings on Etsy, they are probably my most searched products truth be told. I literally spend hours heart-ing my favourite designs and dreaming up ways to use them. They have so many possible uses and they are so pretty.
You may be wondering “just what are digital papers?” and “why would I be excited about how to use them?” Well, let me try and explain myself here.
Digital paper is basically a pattern design file (usually 12”x12” JPEG file). Digital paper was originally created for (digital) scrapbookers to create backgrounds for their digital scrapbook pages. Just like scrapbooking paper packs sold in stores, digital papers are usually sold in themed packs.
Some digital paper packs are also digital repeating pattern designs while others are just square images to be used as they come.
What Can You Do With Digital Paper Files
Digital papers can be used in both digital form and printed form. They can be used as backgrounds, elements, labels and so much more. They are not restricted to just scrapbooking either. What you use them for is limited only by your imagination
How Do You Use The Digital Files
Once you have downloaded your digital paper design file (jpeg), you can open your file in Photoshop and Illustrator (or your preferred photo editing / graphics program).What you do with the file next is up to you, you can add text, photos, draw over the top of them, add filters to them and more.
I have complied a list of many different ways to use them and I thought I would share my list.
★★Please Note: Most Digital Papers are for personal use only. If you want to use them for commercial purposes please check with the storeowner before making a purchase. Some sellers offer a commercial use listing for their products.
- Digital scrapbooking. Kind of a no brainer but forgive me for stating the obvious.
- Travellers Notebook Covers. I love this option for digital papers. Just print your design onto some A4 or letter card stock and trim to size and fold over your blank pages stitch or staple and you have a notebook.
- Travellers Notebook Dashboards. Similar to the notebook cover once printed and trimmed instead of stapling or stitching to a notebook you laminate the dashboard pieces to create beautiful little dashboards for your planner.
- Ring Bound Planner Dividers. For planners who use the ring bound planner styles. Create your own planner page dividers to help break up the planner categories.
- Greeting/Birthday/Holiday/Special occasion Cards.
- Business Cards. Need a business card for your new online business? Digital paper could help your card stand out. ★★
- Origami paper. Print your own origami paper! Have a craft day with the kids making origami animals.
- DIY Envelopes. Create your own envelopes and send someone you love some happy mail!
- Personal stationary. While you are making your envelopes why not make stationary to match
- Recipe cards. How satisfying would it be to have an entire recipe card collection in the one style? You would never run out and you would never waste left over cards because you can simply print the amount you need!
- Bunting/Banner. Cut your printed-paper into triangles and punch two holes in two of the corners thread with string and you are ready to party!
- Party Banner. Edit your paper design in Photoshop to spell out Happy Birthday or Congratulations which ever suits your party. Print each letter then cut, punch and string thread to create your banner.
- Gift Tags. Always good to have handy come Christmas time. Or add to a customers order to make it special.
- Invitations. Party people! No need to purchase invites in packs, print the exact number you need.
- Announcement Cards. From cute baby announcements to engagements.
- Paper feathers. Can be used as wall art, baby mobile, gift cards and bookmarks.
- Gift box / favour box. Paper gift boxes make great party / wedding favours.
- Christmas tree ornaments. Create your own tree decorations with Christmas inspired origami and paper tinsel.
- Paper roses. Create a unique bouquet of paper flowers to add colour to your office.
- Confetti. Print a number of colourful digital paper designs then use your hole punch to create your own custom confetti.
- Collage papers for Art. Print digital paper to use as collage paper for your next artwork.
- Paper wish stars. Little origami stars you write a wish and fold into the star and keep in a pretty little jar.
- 3D Paper Crafts - similar to origami but with more cutting and gluing
- Bookmarks. Calling all book lovers! You can never have too many bookmarks. And is it just me or can you never find one when you need it?
- Accent piece for your gallery wall. Add a pop of colour to your gallery of photos and other wall art
- Name Wall Art. Use a beautiful pattern as a background in a custom artwork piece with your child's name.
- Quote & Motivational Wall Art. Open your file in your image editing program. Photoshop and illustrator are my go to programs and type out your favourite inspiring quote to hang above your desk.
- Home Decor - from print on demand businesses pillows, throw rugs, quilt covers, mugs, and more
- Custom Digital Wallpaper. Customise your iPhone, smartphone, iPad, laptop or desktop computer with custom wallpaper. Add inspirational quotes to keep you motivated.
- Phone case art. You can print custom Phone cases with print on demand business out there on the internet.
- Stickers and decals
- Custom Phone Pop Sockets
Hobbies and Creative Businesses
- Backdrops for portrait photography. Tile the 12"x12" files to create a large enough image to have printed for a photography backdrop. ★★
- Backdrops for product photography. Create some pretty backgrounds for your next product photo shoot. ★★
- Doll house and Book Nook Wallpaper
- Use as extra background interest or small elements to the overall image for Pinterest images and blog post images.★★
- Fabric for sewing and DIY projects. I have used spoonflower.com to print a recent sewing project which I shared.
- Custom Book covers. Paper dust covers or fabric book covers
- Resin Jewellery. Resin is such a versatile craft.
- Decoupage Projects